Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Language Story! :)



     I was born into a very culturally open-minded household. I grew up eating Korean, Italian, Spanish, French and Indian food, and listening to music in a plethora of languages. From the beginning, my mother would speak French to me and encourage my thirst for knowledge in languages and cultures. We would often spend summers in the French speaking parts of Canada and visit my grandmother in Cuban influenced Florida. My father was, like myself, born in California and introduced some Spanish to me. Due to my upbringing, I became fascinated with other languages and desired to be able to communicate in as many as possible. I wanted to be able to speak with EVERYONE and not limit my life experiences merely because I didn’t speak a language.  I would go through what my loved ones affectionately refer to as my "cultural phases". I'd get interested in a certain culture, learn the lingo or language, listen to the music, watch the movies and essentially immerse myself in it. Thus far I've learned thoroughly about Australia, Ireland (I even moved there for a semester!), China, Korea, India, Arabic/Turkish, Japan (yes I can draw anime ha-ha), Spanish (more Central and South American Spanish), France, Poland and I've touched on Italy. I went to a wealthy prep school on the Upper East Side for 9th grade and hated it. Immediately after, I transferred to a high school in Ireland, never having even visited. My mother raised me to be a risk taker and I consider that experience to be one the most influential in my life because I learned that I can feel at home in any country, regardless of the cultural differences and in some ways, because of them! When I returned to the United States, I enrolled in a Chinese Dual-Language school where I learned all about Chinese culture and learned to speak Mandarin (though I am a bit out of practice). I had many Chinese friends with whom I would speak in “Chingrish”. When I started college at LaGuardia, I started having more Latino friends and dating an Ecuadorian. Through my friends and boyfriend I became completely immersed and enamored with the Latin culture and the music. It’s become so that I get anxious if I don’t get to dance a little Salsa or Merengue at least once a week. In daily life I tend to utilize "Spanglish", in part because the majority of my friends are from Latin America and also because I am working toward being able to speak with the fluidity of a native speaker. I plan on going to Guatemala this summer to teach English to impoverished children. That would be an unbelievable experience, to make a real difference in others’ lives and to aid myself in learning one of the romance languages in depth, for I believe the only way to truly learn a language and culture is by spending time living it! I also believe that the greatest sin is the ignorance of exposing o oneself to all the world has to offer; the cultures, the people, the places and the music!

3 comments:

  1. Daniele--I love your language/culture experiences (even the Upper East Side school for rich people has its own interesting dialect, I bet!). But I love your experience in hybrid language situations: Chingrish and Spanglish. Would love to read some writing samples of those from you.
    Sounds like you have a good plan for this summer! Not sure what you meant by: "I also believe that the greatest sin is the ignorance of exposing o oneself to all the world has to offer." Would like to know though!
    Is there a way you could change the background or the color of the text so there's more of a contrast between the two? It's too hard to read otherwise. Thnx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Daniele,
    This is still difficult for folks to read! Could you make the background of the post part a solid color so it's easier to see the text? Thanks!
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. your post is impressive! I like the way you are kind of mix-cultured.I am too. actually I am a Cameroonian,born in France and mostly lived around the world and learning a bit of Everything.I speak French, Spanish, a bit of Italian and English,besides the bunch of the Cameroonian dialects that i speak. I'll like to be a Translator in life so I think i have to learn many other languages such as Chinese, Russian and Sign language.

    Pauly..
    Your post is great!Actually you involve with lot of culture, that's great!You have a lot of language experience. I also want to improve myself. I want to know lot of languages and work my communication skills.

    Mohd..

    How did you felt when you can speak those languages?your language story it is just like mine. I was born into many different languages. We speak GA and English as well. as i look at your post,I have the same experience just like you.my Mom was born into Akan culture, which they speak TWI, and my Dad was born into a GA culture.I had to learn all these languages because when I visit my dad, he doesn't understand my mom's language.and my mom doesn't understand his too.It was hard for me but I try my best to learn both.

    christiana..

    ReplyDelete